Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Inception"

Since the inception of Geekbert, this has been the longest I've gone without making a post (I like how saying "inception" makes my blog sound far more important than it is). I'd like to tell you that it's because I've been working on some awesome review of the iPhone that just couldn't be rushed.

The truth is I've been playing catch up from being out of town for two of the last three weeks. Add to that the fact that my business (the one at which I make money) has been experiencing a small surge of new clients (there it goes, I've jinxed my trend). So because of some very welcome problems I've been too busy to write anything worth reading.

I have a few things percolating that I'll try to flesh out over the next week or so. Until then, I offer my apologies to all my readers (both of you) and I recommend this very thorough iPhone review by Julie Strietelmeier over at the gadgeteer. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

She didn't sound too impressed with the iPhone.

The think that always puzzles me about Apple is their elitist approach to other apps for their products. Isn't this what killed them in the early days.

Open it up to 3rd party apps so that iPhone can be what it's supposed to be.

Geekbert said...

With Apple, the control issue is a catch 22. Having a somewhat closed system insures quality, stability, and supportability (or something like that). Still, in recent years, a very healthy developer community has grown up around Mac OS X.

I understand that the ones dragging their feet in this instance are the people at AT&T. All the wireless carriers are restrictive with their hardware manufacturers. I have a had a T-Mobile Treo 600 and now have a Verizon Treo 650. Both carriers have placed restrictions on what you can do with the phones that are tighter than the limitations built-in by Palm. Browsers restrictions are one example.

AT&T has given Apple an unprecedented level of control over product design, I think it's just a matter of time before we see new apps (even 3rd party apps) coming into play.