Thursday, May 03, 2007

From the Highest of Heights

I was totally stoked yesterday to receive an invite to the invite-only Joost Beta from Mariano over at www.onemanstartup.com. There's been a lot of buzz about Joost lately in podland and the blogosphere. I didn't think it likely that I would receive an invite since I didn't know anyone who was already "in." Well, Mariano was kind enough to send one my way after I commented on his blog.

I clicked the link and began downloading the beta software. Sweet! New technology, exclusive sneak peak, free of charge!!! Does it get much better for a geek of my stature? It's almost too good to be true.

As the software downloaded I noticed a note on the download page that read: Currently, Joost runs only on the latest Macintosh computers equipped with Intel processors. Uuuuugggh! Both my Powerbook and iMac are Pre-Intel. Drats, foiled again! One day, after I grow rich from my blogging and vlogging revenues, I will keep only the most current technology and be able to use all the latest software and gadgets. I will, I tell you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. And I was so juiced about intertnet tv.

Mariano said...

That sucks man, Joost should be distributed as a universal binary. Oh well, you're not missing all that much, not yet anyway. There's not a lot of content.

Anonymous said...

Mariano is right. What on earth are they doing not writing this as a universal binary? That makes no sense. Possibly they're saying that the PowerPC hardware isn't powerful enough to run it? But G5's should be able to! This is strange....

Geekbert said...

Yeah, I was really surprised. I had already scoped the site before I thought I would get an invite. Somehow I missed that little detail.

Anonymous said...

So far you're not missing much, I got an invite about a month ago or so, and the interface is pretty good (couple little annoyances but it's nothing major), but there's nothing worth watching really (still isn't), but hopefully that'll change soon (they're signing all sorts of deals lately).