Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Survey Says...

Do you use the iTunes Store? I do. I have bought music there for a few years now. Recently, I have even bought TV Shows there. I haven't bought any movies there yet.

This is kinda old news but I wonder what the man on the street thinks. I read an article a few weeks ago about Apple considering adding a subscriptions based service to the iTunes Store. There are several services like this out already including the new Microsoft Zune Marketplace. Currently, the iTunes Store sells songs either a-la-carte or by the album. Once you buy it, you own it like you would a physical CD. The subscription model would allow you to pay a monthly fee and have access to unlimited downloads. The catch is that when you quit your subscription, all your music goes away.

I'm curious. How many of you already use the iTunes store. Whether or not you use it already, would the availability of a subscriptions based service affect your use or none use? Chime in and let us know what you think.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use iTunes to buy music. I have a few TV shows, most of them were freebees. I have not, nor do I plan to, buy movies on iTunes.

I have no interest in the subscription model. iWonder how many people who might use "subscriptions" would use AudioHijack (or something like it) to make non-DRM'd copies of music they supposedly "subscribed" to.

Geekbert said...

Right, that's one of the reasons I'm surprised that the record labels allow the subscription model.

Mitchell said...

The iTS is very good except when you have a song in your head and you find out the artist is not on iTunes YET. That is my biggest beef. As for subscription services, I am sure that the sin nature is going to show up and yes they will "borrow" those songs.

Scott Donnelly said...

I use iTunes Store all the time... for instance, last night in Ohio there were Tornado Warnings going on all night during prime time. I missed huge portions of "The Office," and "30 Rock." So I will be downloading both shows, hooking up the iPod to the big screen and watching them at my leisure.

Plus, I have always loved the idea of purchasing one song that I really like instead of an entire album for one song.

Subscription based iTunes sounds like a huge mistake... I understand their wanting to give the option, but why would I want to rent music? It would probably make Apple more money in the long run, but I prefer owning my music.

Bottom line, if it helps Apple to continue to reign supreme, I am all for it.

Geekbert said...

Scott, you get this month's Kool-Aid award. Bottoms up!